I believe that risk is an important part of living a good
life. Without taking risks, you cannot truly live – you merely exist. Risk
doesn’t need to involve danger; it only needs to involve uncertainty. Four of
the top risks in my life include:
Everyone has his or her heart broken more than a few times –
as well as break some hearts. I occasionally argue with my closest friends or
cry because time is passing too fast. I take the risk of losing someone that I
thought I couldn’t live without. This is all what happens when I open my heart
and mind to the greatest joys of life. Anybody who is capable of living and
loving is bound to get hurt at some point, but that’s the risk that’s well
worth the reward. It’s important to laugh too much and love like you’ve never
been hurt because life is too short to let it pass by.
I challenge myself everyday. As I conquer challenges that
stand in my way, I find confidence in my abilities. Having confidence is significant
in the path of success. It’s
important for me to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. The reason life
can be so rewarding is because nothing is guaranteed. My many failed attempts
are simply evidence that I am reaching higher – which is always the best
direction to go. Some of my best life experiences and opportunities have come
after I dared to lose.
Holding on to what’s no longer there has always held me back.
I must accept the end of something in order to begin to build something new.
This is important to me right now since I am in the last semester of my college
life. I will be starting a new chapter out in the real world and I need to be
able to let go of my college life here in Athens to make room for more
wonderful things to come. I must not waste anymore of my time trying to live in
another time and place.
The world is an inherently risky place with unpredictable
twists and turns, regardless of how many safeguards we put into place to avoid
then.
-
Driving:
I speed when I drive and risk my life the minute I get into my car. I drive a
small car that roughly doubles my risk of those that drive a larger car.
-
Stairways:
Should be simple right? But falls kills 16,000 people per year. Every morning
when I take the stairs of my old 3-story apartment, I risk falling.
-
Coffee:
I drink a cup of coffee a day with my breakfast. It contains caffeine, a
well-known stimulant that may be carcinogenic.
-
Tanning
bed: I use the tanning beds almost everyday, especially a lot in the wintertime.
I’m really putting myself in a greater lifetime risk of developing skin
cancer.
I am very aware of the risks in my everyday life, but that
doesn’t mean I will ever stop doing them. Risks are uncertain and unpredictable
but they allow you to grow and discover new things about yourself and the
world.
Life doesn’t come with any guarantees.
References:
